Thursday, April 30, 2015

Hololens thoughts

    Do you member that Friends Episode where Chandler brags about his new laptop? The dialog went like this: "All right, check out this bad boy. 12 megabytes of ram. 500 megabyte hard drive. Built-in spreadsheet capabilities and a modem that transmits at over 28,000 b.p.s." Phoebe, unimpressed, asks: "Wow. What are you gonna use it for?" And Chandler doggedly responds: "Games and stuff".

    I remembered this episode when I was wondering about the types of apps developers might be working on for the #Microsoft #hololens. I decided to jank 3,000 tweets out of twitter using an R script. I fiddle with the data for a few minutes and finally create the following wordcloud.


  
     I nodded and sipped my coffee agreeing but not in favor of the big word "games" in the middle of the chart.
     When Microsoft announced its #hololens a few months back I couldn't stop myself murmuring "That's exactly what I was talking about!" Lately, I've felt trapped within the limits of the screens I interact with every day. Seeing the freedom of space popping out from the lens made me remember so many sci-fi movies I couldn't even count them.

     Although I enjoy games once in a while I do find more joy in the idea generation and research work. Most of it translated to note taking, mind mapping, data analysis, browsing and brainstorming in front of a whiteboard. I hope someone deep in the Microsoft offices is working on a productivity application or framework. Perhaps a 3D version of Microsoft Visio, Evernote, xmind, file access and organization.
After reading some articles about Build2015 I can see they are heading the productivity way. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment